Tune Into Dr. Oz Today: Did You Get the Your Flu Shot?
January 18th, 2013
The experts way in.
With this illness spreading like wildfire, many people are wondering should I, shouldn't I get the Flu vaccine. Personally, you need to do what you feel is the right decision. If you were to ask me four years ago, I would have said, "NO", I don't believe in it for me or my boys. But that quickly changed three years ago when all three of us came down with the flu one season. The boys were so sick, and I was so scared they were going to wind up in the hospital - especially my oldest. As for me, I was the sickest I've ever been. I was ill for a total of almost two months, the flu turned into pneumonia followed by strep. My husband did get the shot and you know what, he was fine! You can chalk it up to coincidence or perhaps it really does work. Many of you might still be on the fence, if so, tune in today to Dr. Oz to see what professionals are saying, "Yay or Nay".
Dr. Oz is interviewing Dr. Susan Blum, board certified in Preventive Medicine, a chronic disease specialist, and Founder and Director of Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, NY, about the controversial flu vaccination. Dr. Oz assembled an expert panel of world health care professionals to weigh in on whether or not people should get the flu shot. Dr. Blum's stance is simple: She recommends it for her high risk patients with chronic illnesses or any heart or lung problems, and for those over 65; she does not recommend it for her healthy adult patients. What Dr. Blum does recommend is building up the immune system – which is the foundation to staying healthy.
DR. SUSAN BLUM ON HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM GETTING THE FLU
Here are Dr.Blum's top tips for prevention and protection:
First work on your immune foundation. This is not just during flu season but should be a strategy all year round because a strong immune system is the foundation for staying healthy in general.
Three Parts to a Healthy Immune Foundation:
1. Good gut health which means lots of beneficial bacteria. Take a probiotic every day with at least 20 billion cfu of mixed strains lactobacillus and bifidus species. If you are taking antacids or proton pump inhibitors, stop because this alters your gut flora in a negative way.
2. Balanced stress hormones. Get a good night sleep and don't over work yourself during flu season. Stress harms your ability to fight viruses.
3. Eat foods that are good for your immune system. This means avoiding processed foods and focusing on fruits and veggies that are rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
How to Boost Your Immune System to Protect Yourself from the Flu
1. Here are the important vitamins:
-Vitamin D 2000 iu/day
-Vitamin A retinyl palmitate 5000 iu/day
-Zinc 30 mg/day
-Vitamin C 3-4000 mg/day
2. Additional supplements
-Whey Protein Powder is high in immunoglobulins that boost your immune system
-Herbs like Elderberry, Echinacea and Astragalus
-Beta Glucan supplements (mushroom extracts)
3. Make sure to wash your hands multiple times each day, especially before you eat and after exposure to public transportation like riding the subway.