2014 Beauty Trends
February 10th, 2014
~What’s HOT right now!
The beauty industry continues to amaze us with the launch of new products promising to change the way we do our hair, makeup and skin care. As we move into NY Fashion Week, and trends for the following season will be predicted, I will highlight the HOT new shades right now, other than Pantone’s reigning RADIANT ORCHID, and the NEW launches that should be on your radar.
I’ve investigated and searched for these new beautifiers, and I am most excited about the list below.
1. ORANGE is the new Pink. Think traffic cone orange and you got the color statement right! This cool-girl look should be paired with neutrals and muted tones in makeup and even in clothes. According to Gucci Westman, Revlon’s Global Artistic Director, "this shade is right on target: Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in Carnival Spirit, which won’t be available until Spring 2014."
2. Overnight Facials. These new supercharged night therapies will lift, firm, moisturize and smooth out lines and uneven textures, helping to repair daily damage and impart a healthy, dewy glow, all while you sleep. I am loving PeterThomasRoth Camu Camu Power Sleeping Mask; two other good ones are Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight and Sarah Chapman Skinesis Overnight Facial.
3. Got PORES? Got LINES? ‘Blurring’ products that promise to diffuse the look of fine lines and pores and smooth wrinkles---Launching now are Garnier’s Skin Renew 5 Second Blur Instant Smoother and L’Oreal’s Youth Code Texture Perfector Pore Vanisher, which promises to instantly minimize the look, while helping to shrink the pore size in one month.
4. Foundations with a purpose. As I am calling them ‘Skindation’, let's forget about the alphabet for a while and focus on the bevy of new launches that are borrowing technologies from their successful skin care lines. Be on the lookout for: Lancome’s Visionnaire 1 Minute Blur, Philosophy Miracle Worker Anti-Aging Liquid Makeup, RoC’s Multi-Correxion 5-in-1 Beauty Balm, Philosophy Hope in a Jar Light-as-Air Hydrating Fluid Makeup, and Physcians Formula Youthful Wear Spotless Foundation. Phew! That was a list.
5. Lush LIPSTICK. The return of lipstick is on an upswing. Lighter formulas like colored balms and glosses have been in the limelight the past few seasons, but a plush, velvety lip will be all the rage. Estee Lauder captures this right-on- track trend with their new launch of Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick, available in 20 rich pigmented color that promises to keep lips hydrated.
6. NEUTRAL Territory. Starting with the ‘naked nail’, yep, this was seen all over the runways, and I am opting to share this trend over any other. It was bound to happen, after so many seasons of wacky nail art and bold colors, sheer polish looks refreshing again. Think pale grays, whites and nudes. My theory, “when in doubt go for a clean, chic look”. My go to shades for the season are: Butter London's "Lady Muck" seen on the models at the Lela Rose Spring 2014 shows. Other ‘nude’ news : Bobbi Brown’s Nude Glow Collection offers a whole range of makeup for lips, eyes and face, so pretty, it features three sets of products designed to add luminosity and brighten your look , also check out Clinique’s All About Shadow, eye palette from the limited edition 16 Shades of Beige collection. Urban Decay NAKED Illuminated, is the newest addition to the line. It’s a baked illuminating powder, that magically radiates your skin from head to toe--- perfect for use on the face or the body (especially the décolleté). And Maybelline the Color Sensational The BUFFS Collection offers the best of the naked hues in a 10-shade line-up.
7. HOME EASE, Color Fast. Having AMAZING hair color can be yours right in the comfort of your own home. At-home treatments promising to boost and prolong hair-color services will be available to you at retail and affordable prices. Be on the lookout for glosses (John Frieda’s Colour Refreshing Gloss,is the must-have right now), color-care shampoos (Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Finity 2 Minute Shade Precision Treatment, and Nexxus Color Assure line) and perfecting in-home hair color options- Clairol Age Defy and Madison Reed is the newest contender, more on this in an upcoming post.)
8. Body Beautiful Anti-Agers. The neck down deserves stellar treatment and formulas are being created from exfoliating to hydrating to bringing BBs to the body to enhance the skin and making it a priority! Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream (read post) and Shiseido Future Solution LX Superior Radiance Serum promises to brighten the skin. Even the famous Triad Facial, the one by David Colbert, MD that all the VS Angels flock to get prior to their big show, will launch an acid-based exfoliation plus collagen enhancing LED lights, head-to-toe.
You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing.